It's odd how NIE lecturers (and some of my peers) like to ask this question as a form of "ice-breaker".
To be frankly honest, i have no idea why i teach. I know deep down inside, I would end up in the education sector. But before i move on to that, perhaps i could indulge you with some of the "teaching" moments i had back when i was younger.
This intention to want to teach went all the way back to my primary school. I remember very vividly that I once had a good friend by the name of Azman who wasn't very academically strong. We were close friends and me, being sympathetic, would like to help my friend with his schoolwork.
So I told him that I would like to help him out with schoolwork before school starts (that year i was in PM session. PM session means that my classes only starts in the afternoon till 6 odd). But, unfortunately, he didn't appeared. I remember then, I was at the school canteen, waiting and hoping he would reach school early. That, i think, was my first step towards teaching.
Teaching, especially in front of a class, is like putting up a show. To put up a show requires a bit of acting skill and courage. I picked up public speaking and i thoroughly enjoyed talking and presenting my work in front of the class - just like how teachers do it. I got better as i progressed on from Secondary school all the way till my university days.
One reason as to why i teach is because i want to help people, share my knowledge and hopefully enlighten them with the newfound knowledge they just obtained through my lessons. When i was polytechnic student, I found out how difficult programming was to my peers. So i met up with the School's Academic Director and proposed a programming clinic. I conducted the clinic almost every Saturday morning. The number of students who turned up for the clinic can be as small as 3-6 people but the whole idea of being able to help was just fulfilling. I enjoyed myself there and then.
When i was a undergraduate at National University of Singapore, i volunteered at Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research as a Museum Gallery Tour Guide and also signed up for Part-time Teaching Assistant for two modules. My experiences as a tour guide and TA then really helped me gave a head start of what it is like to actually "teach" or be talking to a relative big group of students (at least 10).
I suppose this short story has kinda provided two reasons as to why i teach.
1) To try help my students be better individuals.
2) To impart my skills and knowledge which I’ve gained over the past years
There is a third reason as to why i teach. And that is to understand myself better so that I can work towards self betterment. By teaching someone, i reflect on my actions - the way i present myself, the way i present my information, how did i articulate and etc. From there i learn to think of ways to improve my delivery of the lesson.
Teaching also taught me values - empathy, patience and resilience. I have to empathize with my students who are clueless about what is going on. The way i felt before i gain that knowledge. I learn to be patient when I teach as certain concepts may not be too easy for some of my students to understand. I also learn to be resilient and just brave through any adversities that comes with teaching (be it waking up early in the morning or losing sleep to prepare for class or just not having personal time for myself).
All of these helped in my self development. And i'm grateful for that.
So i suppose that's it. I teach because:
1) To try help my students be better individuals.
2) To impart my skills and knowledge which I’ve gained over the past years.
3) To understand myself better so that I can work towards self betterment.
No comments:
Post a Comment